Today’s news in theStar had me shocked for a moment. It’s a pity that the boy was burnt while his father was refueling the gas tank. But there’s more to it.
“My engine was off, I was not using my mobile phone and I was not smoking.” said the father.
The petrol station investigated the matter and claimed the fire was due to static charge, or commonly known as static electricity. it’s a rare case but it still will. It does not mean that you will be safe while refueling your vehicle with the engine off, mobile phone turned off and not smoking. You still have to take care of one more factor, static charge.
Static electricity is an electric charge caused by an imbalance of electrons on the surface of a material. This normally occurs by the contact and separation of materials...